Tuesday, August 04, 2009

A long weekend look-back...

Today is rainy outside. The Observer told me that there is a tornado warning in effect. Judging by the dark, dreary temperatures, I'm not surprised. The rain came down in buckets. Dad called me this morning to warn me that the rain was coming. He was right. All of a sudden, the air felt very dark and spooky. I was out at the dollar store picking up straws just as the air changed. Thankfully, I wasn't far away. The rain drops have eased up a bit. It's the water from under the roof tops that makes pedestrians wet. I noticed people on the street trying to steer clear of roof tops.



My long weekend went by quickly. On Saturday I met a friend at Union Station. The place was packed with tourists for Caribana. Lots of people dressed in colourful costumes were frequenting the streets. Like the night before, police were on every corner. My friend and I sat at Harvey's and chatted for a bit. The air got warm, so we went to a cool tunnel area and listened to a busker play funky tunes. He was talented. It was fun to catch up with my friend and listen to good music at the same time. Those are my kind of summer nights.



The next day, I went to a BBQ in honour of the Observer's nephew, Poalo. This was my first time meeting him. He's a big, gurgley, blue eyed cutie! The little dude totally melted my heart. He screamed every time I held him. I won't hold it against the guy because I am a stranger. Poalo is perfect. His family says he's fussy about the way he is held and what position he likes. I don't blame him. We are entitled to our preferences, even if we are too little to name them. Seeing the Observer's niece made my evening. She greeted me with a big hug. We haven't seen much of each other since her brother was born. She seems to have adjusted well to her bigger family. Hopefully Poalo will warm up to me. I'm not worried yet. The Observer says that all his nephew knows is when he is hungry and who his parents are. It's true. There's plenty of time for us to become friends.

Being around the Observer's cousins, aunts, uncles, and friends is always a pleasure. They treat me as one of their own, which is a huge blessing. I have two wonderful families when lots of people aren't even lucky enough to have one. I enjoy chatting with all of the Observer's cousins. We see each other at every family holiday, so we are well acquainted. They tease me as much as they do the Observer. I take that as a positive sign. They know I can take it. The food at the BBQ was delicious. The Observer's Mom made scrumptious rice salad and a Mediterranean type scone. Her cooking is always my favourite. After dinner, I was so stuffed. The Observer and I had a few minutes of private time when we went up the street for fresh air. My stomach gave me trouble on the way home. Though the day ended on a rough note, I still enjoyed myself. A little bad luck is OK if it's dispersed among a good day.


The next day was a holiday. The Observer came to see me. We ran some errands. I bought him a Coke Zero from MacDonald's. Months ago, he left one in the back of my fridge for another visit. I'm embarrassed to say that, in a moment of weakness, I drank it about a month ago. At first I told the Observer that his Coke Zero was, "buried in the back of fridge." It didn't take him long to realize that I drank it. He wasn't mad, but I wouldn't blame him if he was. I bought him another Coke Zero. *Sorry Observer*. We went to the Pickle Barrel and then hung out at home. Sugarland had a special on TV. The Observer had never heard them before. For a country band, they are quite good, I think. I'm not sure if the Observer thought so.

Our last stop of the night was Starbucks. I had to go get flowers and a Coke Zero for the Observer, so I met him at the coffee shop. By the time I got there, his parents arrived to pick him up. I'm glad I got to give the Observer's Mom flowers. I've been wanting to do for ages. He was lucky they could pick him up. The Observer was having transportation issues. The weekend ended for me as most special ones do - with strong coffee and family.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

I'DF RATHER HAVE THAT THEN COKE ZERO ANY DAY.