Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Flat and aging...


There's only one sound that a tire losing air makes. It's a slow, steady hiss. There's only one smell of burning rubber. I heard and smelled both last night. I was brushing my teeth when I heard the dreaded hiss. Seconds later, I smelled burning rubber. It didn't take me long to realize the problem. Luckily, I was still able to drive, even though my tire rubber was dragging on the floor. I was just glad to be able to move. I called the emergency pager of the wheelchair company and gave them a heads up that I had a flat tire. A guy called back and said someone would come in the morning. Not able to go far, I watched a taped episode of Oprah called The World's Got Talent. Susan Boyle, an unlikely Scottish superstar was interviewed. I thought she was sweet and could tell that Simon Cowell was rooting for her. The episode was very old and Susan Boyle has since been hospitalized with exhaustion. I heard she's okay, but that's a bit sad. I watched a pair of dancers who mixed Michael Jackson moves with a Bollywood style. They impressed me, especially when they described their dance as "east meets west." Being confined to one place isn't much fun, but I got to watch those funky dancers. I'm not big on Oprah's talent shows, so I probably would have skipped this episode if my tire hadn't blown. Sometimes losing a little means gaining a little something else.



With my flat tire and immobile wheelchair at the forefront of my brain, I woke up early this morning anxious for word that it would be fixed soon. My usual technician called to say he would be at my front door by noon. He was right on time. I really like the technician. He's kind and understands how important his job is to my life. He told me about an acquaintance of mine who was recently crossing the street in her wheelchair and was hit by a car and killed. She was my age. The news made me very sad.



I watched Away From Her on Saturday, a Canadian film directed by Sarah Polly about a husband struggling to cope with his wife's loss of memory and move to a nursing home. Added to the husband's heartache is a budding friendship between his wife and another man at the nursing home. He becomes jealous, lonely and distraught, but finds forgiveness and grace to accept his wife as she is. Away From Her was heartbreaking. I didn't know whether to feel sympathy or disdain for the husband, because he didn't deal with his anger in a healthy way. Judging others in the midst of heartache is wrong. All we can do is learn from each other. There is a quote from the wife that says, "All we can hope for in this situation {events beyond our control} is a little bit of grace. Hearing about the girl I know who was struck by the car and killed reaffirmed to me that growing old is a blessing. Yes, aging can be painful, but it's the price we pay for a long life. It's one I will be more than happy to pay, because lots of people miss out on the opportunity.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

I Just hope no matter what happens people live a happy life.

LOVE YOU