Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Looking back on Labour Day...




Well, summer is officially over. The end of this chapter makes me a bit sad. Speaking of sad, today is back-to-school for students. I'm not one. Part of me wishes I was, but not a big part. Starting fresh is liberating, and a bit scary. Someday I might go back to school. I just have to decide what to take. I guess I will know when the time is right. There are so many choices. Options can be both a blessing and a curse. We're finally getting summer type weather, which I find kind of funny. Weather has it's own timing, right? I'm wearing Capri pants. I thought I best wear them while I could. Who knows what the weather will be like tomorrow....

I missed a doctor's appointment today. My stomach has been stubborn to respond to my usual ways. On the wise medical advice of my mother, I decided to stay home and work out my internal kinks. So far, I've had mediocre success. I am a little disappointed that I had to change my plans.



On the upside, I really enjoyed the past weekend. The wedding the Observer and I went to was beautiful. Both the bride and groom were glowing with happiness inside and out. We should all be so lucky on our wedding day. According to the Observer, the groom was so overcome with emotion that he didn't notice my absence at his ceremony. Thinking the groom would was a little self-indulgent on my end, but I didn't want to hurt his feelings. He's a five star friend.



The bride looking elegant and classy. A smile seemed permanently planted on her face. When I got to the reception, I was greeted with a big hug from the groom's parents. Seeing them made very emotional. I found the Observer sitting at the hotel bar with the rest of the groomsmen. He looked happy and relaxed. I loved his blue suit. The other groomsmen kept calling the Observer "Bruno" and making fun of him. They were making me laugh. The Observer is so easy to make fun of, because he lets jokes roll right off his back.



At the reception, I sat with wives and co-workers of the groomsmen. Everyone was friendly, especially two ladies. The Observer played up being the goof of the night, and served as the butt of many jokes. He is such a good sport. The wedding wouldn't have been the same without his easy-going nature. The food was delicious. We started with cream of broccoli soup and these amazing olive bread rolls. I ate three. I'm not a big fan of cream soups, but I was so hungry, it tasted yummy. The main course was an eggplant casserole with corn salsa. I loved it. I was glad I chose the vegetarian meal. The other meal was prime rib with Yorkshire pudding. I like Yorkshire pudding, but not prime ride. For dessert, we had an assortment of mango and berry sherbets in a beautiful chocolate cup. The sherbet was yummy, but the cup was tough to break. To stop myself from crying during speeches, I focused on breaking the cup into pieces. The distraction worked and I felt like I accomplished something. The bread and groom were very emotional along with their parents. It was amazing.



The Observer came to hang out with me. I was happy to see him. He's a big dancer and wheeled right into a circle of guests. I couldn't stop laughing. The guy knows how to party. I'm not a big dancer. I suppose that's where my shyness surfaces. I enjoy watching the Observer. I left shortly after dinner and went back to my parents' house. I slept like a baby. I spent Sunday hanging out with Dad and reading People magazine. Mom worked all day, but came home and made us fish and apple cake. I was glad to see her, if only for a little bit. Once back home, I watched When Harry Met Sally. The film was upbeat and showed the differences between males and females clearly. I can understand why it's considered a classic film. When Harry Met Sally will lift my spirits whenever I watch it, as every classic film should.



Being Labour Day yesterday, the Observer had the day off, so he came to see me. We took awhile deciding what to do, but decided on dinner at the Pickle Barrel. Having filled up on cookies sweetly sent by the Observer's Mom, I had salad topped with salsa and garlic bread. Our waitress wasn't the best, so that ruined our dinner. The Observer had a milkshake which filled me up. He barely ate his pasta. On the way home, we saw an older man sitting in a police car. I overheard that he got lost. Hopefully he found his way. The Observer treated me to a diet Coke and a coffee from Starbucks. I was spoiled. The Starbucks server thought I wanted a misto, which is made of half and coffee half milk. All I really wanted was a decaf with a little bit of soy milk. The Observer took back my coffee, but they still got my order wrong. Oh well, it was a night of poor service, but good company. If it had to be the last weekend of summer, I'm glad I spent it with my family and good friends.

- OCG