Thursday, September 17, 2009

Mushrooms, bad news and good people...


Yesterday I had a portabello mushroom craving. I had to get one. I couldn't stop thinking about the meaty, yummy, white and brown fungus. The St. Lawrence Market has delicious portabellos for a good price. Later on, I had an appointment with three psyiotherapy students. I knew time would be tight, but I had to get my portabello mushroom. Rushing to the market, I picked up my meaty plate of presliced fungus and hurried home. I saw three young people hanging around outside and wondered if they were the physio students. Less than five minutes later, the buzzer rang and sure enough, the young people from the lobby were at my doorstep. I wasn't late, but I did feel bad about making them wait. We all recognized each other and laughed. They were sweet and inquisitive. I enjoyed talking to them, but lost things to say when I started to feel hungry and hot. When they left, I ate my mushroom and had some diet Kool-aid. I felt better, but not for long....

I called Mom and she told me that my blood work showed I have high cholesterol. I am shocked and worried. I don't want to inherit Mom's heart problems. I try to eat healthy and I see a dietitian regularly. I'm not sure what more I can do. Since I am only twenty seven years old, I am concerned. My first priority will continue to be my health. Sometimes we just get unlucky, but it is important to control health risks when we can. My cholesterol was not done with me fasting, so I'm going to have it repeated. I'm not expecting a huge change, but at least I am getting it checked out.

The Observer came. Being that I was so upset, his company was such a comfort. He listened, and that's what I needed. We watched the new Dr. Oz Show and Oprah's special on Micheal Jackson. The Observer got choked up at the end of Oprah. I did too. We went to Starbucks. I was so preoccupied with my high cholesterol news that I almost got run over by a car.

Today a vendor at the St. Lawrence Market gave me a free jar of sugar free jam. At the grocery store, a guy put my bread close to the cash register and another insisted on paying for it. Life is full of goodness. I need to enjoy it while I'm here...

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

DON'T MAKE IT SEEM LIKE YOUR GONNA LEAVE ME ANYTIME SOON, YOU HAVE A LONG LIFE AHEAD OF YOU.

LOVE YOU.