Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Bring on coffee...


Outside is unseasonably mild today. In my books, that's a good thing. My big wheelchair tire is looking a little flat, which worries me. I noticed this last night while secretly squeezing into the bathroom counter to brush my teeth. Sometimes I accidentally hit my tire. After getting my laundry and bagels packed up for my parents, I noticed a delicious smell coming from around me and I realized it was the bagels. Anything that smells so good is worth going the distance to the St. Lawrence Market. In about an hour and a half, I'm catching a bus to go to my parents' area for a nearby doctor's appointment. If my tire doesn't hold out, I hope it flattens when I'm at my parents' house in the later afternoon. Things are always easier to handle around them. I feel safe. I am lucky to have that sense of security. As I've grown older, I've realized that not everyone does. When we're kids, we tend to assume that our peers are as lucky as we are. Most of us have a rosy view of the world. I guess that's what makes kids so special. Only when we're older and more mature do we realize that, just because life should be fair, doesn't mean it is.



My attendant who got me out of bed and showered was extra diligent today. She knew I was in a hurry, so I appreciated her speedy but concise manner. Lately, I have been using this small, transparent Winnie-The-Pooh mug. It holds the perfect amount of coffee for me to drink without having to worry about an overflow. I'm happy I learned that trick. Sometimes the littlest things can make life easier. Speaking of coffee, I'm craving another cup. I'm quite sleepy. Nowadays, I crave coffee all the time. It's noon, so I better get one, or it will be a long day...

- OCG