Thursday, October 08, 2009

Dad's day...


Dad enjoyed his birthday. He smiled all through dinner, which I took as a good sign. The first thing he told me was that the Observer called. Dad was touched. He was happy to see both of my brothers and my twin's girlfriend. She always gets people talking, but in a good way. Somehow she ALWAYS has something to say. I wonder what she's like when she's grumpy? Maybe she's super quiet. As chatty as my twin's girlfriend is, I really do think she's a great person. Hopefully her and my brother last. Anyone who sees the good in everything is a good person. Dad got new running shoes, a new sweater and the Jersey Boys tickets. He enjoyed the chicken and pasta Mom cooked and pumpkin cake. I know Mom made pumpkin cake for me since it's one of my favourite fall desserts. Dad liked it.



As for me, MOST of my day was great. I came home late afternoon and was worried that I would be late for my appointment. I told my bus driver who got me home in the nick of time. Dad drove me there one minute late. Not bad for a fifty-seven-year- old dude, huh? Dad parked me and went to reception only to find out my appointment had been scheduled for last Wednesday. My mistake....Dad didn't seem to mind, but I did. Somehow the nurse I spoke to and I misunderstood each other. I was at Pink last Wednesday. I rescheduled for next Tuesday at 3:40. I can't forget...



Today we have beautiful fall weather. The sun is shinning and the air is crisp. It's my favourite kind of day outside. Of course, I just had to go to St. Lawrence Market. It's impossible to predict how many days we have left before it gets cold, so we best enjoy them. I bumped into the Observer's cousin. She's my favourite relative of his extended family. She works nearby and was on her way to the market with a friend during their lunch hour. We stopped and chatted for a bit. I told her that I was sorry that I wouldn't see her during Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, both the Observer and myself are celebrating Thanksgiving with our families on the same day so we won't be able to see each other. I'm disappointed, but what can we do? The Observer kindly offered to leave his family and come to see mine. Having done this before, I know it's hard as it's like giving half of one's focus to each family. How is that fair? On the upside, we're both lucky that we have families who love us and include us in their celebrations. There have been other holidays where we've celebrated with both families. Hopefully one will happen again soon.

Dad called this morning to thank me for the Jersey Boys tickets. I'm glad he liked them. The show is the first Saturday in December. Inside his card, I wrote, Oh, what an afternoon we'll have....I'm not looking forward to the cold that December will bring, but all the family events balance out the chilly days. Maybe that's why Christmas is in the winter...

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

GLAD HE ENJOYED HIS DAY... MISS U