Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad!!!


Remember how I try to exercise on the pole in my living room each night? Last night I must have aimed wrong when I went to sit back down in my wheelchair. Somehow I ended up sitting too far on one side and I felt like I was going to fall. More pressing and painful was my twisted leg. I tried to balance myself on the pole, but panicked when I realized my attendant wouldn't be around for another forty five minutes. My strength to hold myself up on the pole is pretty good, but I need breaks. Forty five minutes would be too long. The thought of being trapped with no way of getting help freaked me out. Panicking, I knew, would only cloud my ability to think clearly. I thought of how the Observer had been left in his apartment with no phone and how he could help by yelling as loud as he could. Realizing reaching for a phone would be risky, I began to yell "Help!" at the top of my lungs. Luckily, I was able to move my wheelchair to the door and hit my opener. Once the door was open, I yelled as loud as I could. My neighbour, a sweet senior citizen, heard me and came to my rescue. Bless her heart. English is not her first language, so it took her a bit to understand what I was saying. She left to (what I think) was go get help, but came back quickly. After asking her if help was on the way, I didn't understand her answer. I got her to call my attendants and she held the phone while I explained that I had fallen. I pleaded with my neighbour not to leave me again. She kept trying to help me untangle myself. Since I was so twisted, I thought it would be best to wait for my attendant. When she did come to help, she looked confused. I told my attendant that I leaned over too far trying to get the TV remote. It's not exactly the truth, but she doesn't need to know everything. I'm lucky I didn't fall and that my neighbour helped me. My leg was a little sore, but nothing major. Serves me right for testing my limits. Though the incident was scary, I learned that my voice is quite strong when it needs to be.

Today is Dad's fifty seventh birthday. Hopefully his day is going well. Later on, I'll see Dad for dinner. First, I'm going to a doctor's appointment to talk about cholesterol. I'm a little nervous because it is a new health issue, but I will be relieved to learn what can be done about it. I have to keep reminding myself that it's a blessing that I am aware I have a problem. Ignorance can be both blissful and deadly. Conversely, knowledge is power. Dad would say that gray hair like his equates to wisdom. After last night, I learned that it's beneficial to practice standing tall, but to also have a way to get help if we fall.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

US WITH CHALLENGES ALWAYS FIND A WAY.