Monday, October 19, 2009

Oklahoma!


I watched the rest of Oklahoma last night and this morning. It's a fun musical. I learned from the special features that it was ground breaking in its time for using dance, cinematography, and character plot simultaneously. There were a few references to gender inequality that bothered me. In a song All Er Nuthin', a future wife sings the following to her future husband:

With you it's all er nuthin'. All fer you and nuthin' fer me! But if a wife is wise, she's gotta realize That men like you are wild and free. So I ain't gonna fuss, ain't gonna frown, Have your fun, go out on the town, Stay up late and don't come home till three. And go right off to sleep if you're sleepy, There's no use waitin' up fer me!

In a way, the woman is saying "Men will be men." In another way, she is saying she will do as she pleases. I got the feeling males and females were going through a sort of power struggle trying to figure out how each person fit into the family dynamic. Women were still very inferior to men, but I guess that's how things were in the 1940s. My favourite songs were Oklahoma, Oh, What A Beautiful Mornin', and Many A New Day. Part of the reason I watched Oklahoma was so that maybe my grandfather and I could sing the lyrics together. Grandpa's Alzheimer's makes it hard to carry on a conversation with him, but he does remember classic music. Maybe he and I will be singing about how "The wind comes sweeping down the lane". I'll still be glad I watched the movie, even if Grandpa doesn't remember the words.

I went to Starbucks last night with a friend who lives in my building. Initially I didn't feel like going, but once we saw each other, I was glad I went. Girl talks are good for the soul. I didn't sleep well last night. I'm tired and haven't done much today. I went shopping, talked to Mom and the Observer and here I am.

- OCG

1 comment:

THE OBSERVER said...

IN A WAY I'M GLAD THAT I WAS NOT BOR IN THAT TIME FRAME.