Monday, November 02, 2009

Celebrating family, health and getting vaccinated...


The end of my stay at home was just as sweet as the beginning. Seeing everyone at dinner last night was great. We missed the Observer of course. I asked Dad to explain to the table about the ordeal we had getting the HINI vaccine. It IS quite the story......

On Saturday, Dad picked me up around noon and we headed to one of the newly opened clinics. The place was a mad house. The line-up was HUGE. Expecting a long wait, we packed a lunch. We didn't expect to be treated like dirt, but most people wouldn't. On the way to line up, a kind lady with a small child told us they had cut off the line. Seeing for ourselves, we found people yelling and screaming. Spotting my wheelchair, people told Dad and I to butt in line. We tried and got yelled at by a security guard. Dad asked where I could get a shot but was quickly dismissed. Adrenaline was high. Sensing we weren't going to have much luck, Dad remembered seeing Mom circle the name of a clinic in Oak vile, a small town just outside of the city.

We drove to the area and found a community center with a police car parked outside. Something told us we hit the jackpot. Sure enough, the police confirmed it was an H1NI clinic. Dad saved the day! We bypassed the line and I was vaccinated and home within an hour and a half of finding the second clinic. It pays to go outside of the city (and to have a super Dad). The staff were professional, calm and kind. They had water, a waiting area, a clown and balloons for little kids. Oakville was paradise compared to the city. I am relieved to have the vaccine. My arm is tender, but I feel as though I have no right to complain after knowing what the Observer went through. Some things just don't warrant complaining. My birthday was low key, but that adventure with Dad was unforgettable.

I got spoiled yesterday by family. Mom and Dad gave me a new toothbrush, some classy sweaters and a new pair of black pants. My sister gave me a book called Half Broke Horses by Jeanette Wallis. Wallis wrote The Glass Castle, which I loved. I'm looking forward to reading Half Broke Horses. My brother and sister-in-law gave me a white and red sweater with a funky necklace. I love the necklace. My twin gave me a black and blue sweater. I have lots of new clothes. I'm happy. My twin had a great birthday too, I hope. I gave him a gift card to buy a video game. Mom made honey mustard chicken, brown rice, carrots, broccoli and salad with pecans and cranberries. As always, the salad was my favourite. Mom made German chocolate cake for my brother and carrot cake for me. I think my cake beat my twin's cake.

I'm happy to report that the Observer is feeling better. He's not a hundred per cent yet, but he's on the mend. I have been so worried about him.....When things settle down, we are going to celebrate good health. Nothing else matters more than health.

- OCG

2 comments:

Lurker said...

Glad you got your swine flu shot Christie the waiting must have been insane. I don't know when I'm gonna get mine at the moment my mom and I are having a big debate about it I wanna get it, but she's firmly against it and doesn't want me to. I think I'll get it regardless it's just a matter of when, as much as I hate shots I would rather be safe then sorry.

Hope your week is going well :).

THE OBSERVER said...

I'M JUST HAPPY YOUR HEALTHY.