Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Three day rewind...


I have just spent the last four days at home. On Saturday night, I watched Every body's Fine with Mom. I've seen it, but it's good. That night, I couldn't sleep. I watched some of Food Inc. It was disturbing. There was a song by Dragonette that come on Much More Music. I cranked it up. Mom came down and told me to turn it down. Seeing her angry in the wee hours of the night was a bit scary.

We went to my sister-in-law's 30th birthday brunch. She took mom's raspberry french toast out of the oven. The dish exploded everywhere right in front of her eyes. Luckily, she wasn't hurt, but it started the brunch with a bang. Dad says he swears he saw a tiny hand reach out from sister-in-law's belly and shield her eyes from the glass. I sat with my sister. I usually do....I enjoyed seeing my brother and sister-in-law's friends.

I came home to rain and decided to stay overnight. It's becoming a habit to stay at my parents' for longer than planned. My new goal is to do what I say I'm going to do. We watched Brothers starring Tobey McGuire, Jake Jelenhale and Natalie Portman. It was disturbing and sweet at the same time. We also watched Amazing Race. I slept well.

I got up early on Monday as Mom's personal trainer came. I heard him tell Mom that she has improved. My brother stopped by with his dog Nash. Mom made my favourite oatmeal cookies. As always, I ate too many. She picked up Shawmas for lunch. They are similar to chicken sandwiches on a pita. Mine was very spicy. We watched TLC and Mom fell asleep. Part of me felt like I prevented her from running errands, but maybe it's good that she got sleep.

Mom went to Aquafit later. Dad and I took Riley for a walk. I went to No Frills and bought purple tulips for Mom. We watched Dancing With The Stars. Being tired, I went to bed before the show was over. I liked Nicole from Pussycat Dolls.

It's a beautiful Tuesday. Mom gave me a top notch shower. My jeans are tight. I knew they would be....stay calm.....stay calm....I will make it. I finished the book Women, Food and God by Geneen Roth. The book was good, but not all that different from her other novels. I'm about to start Still Alice, a memoir about a woman living with Alzheimer's. Mom lent the novel to me. I called Grandma. Grandpa was having a bad day. He didn't want to take his pills or put his shirt on. By the end of our talk, he put his shirt on.

"See, things are turning around," I told her.

I need to keep repeating this to myself.

Both of my taxi drivers were sweet. One said I should keep a little vase attached to my wheelchair and ask my friends to fill it with flowers.

Some people know how to make my day.

"I like the way you think", I told him.



Fittingly, the same taxi driver was singing:


Country roads, take me home, to the place I belong....He did exactly that.



- OCG

1 comment: