Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Top notch TV...

"I believe that if, at the end of it all, according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier, and something to make ourselves a little happier, that is about the best we can do. To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts. We must try to contribute joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try. I didn’t always know this, and I am happy that I lived long enough to find it out.”

- Roger Ebert



Last night I watched Roger Ebert on Oprah. Thyroid cancer has taken away his ability to speak and eat, but his mind is still sharp. His thoughts put my own struggles into perspective. I was feeling guilty about having ravioli at nine thirty for dinner. Ravioli wasn't in my plan, but I think I was hungry. I'm lucky I can eat. Roger Ebert can't eat and will never be able to taste food again.

Next I watched two episodes of The Golden Girls. Rose and Blanche had a fight. Blanche said she had to say to very difficult words. Rose responded with, "Not tonight?" I cracked up. I didn't do my Why Weight? WORKBOOK exercises, but it's OK. I got some perspective and a good laugh. Besides, weight can always....wait.

- OCG