Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Baby #3!!!

I've spent the day inside. My wheelchair is broken. Thankfully, it happened when I was coming home from a Wheeltrans focus group last night. I was right outside my apartment building. While it's not ideal to have a busted wheelchair, at least I wasn't stranded out in the cold. It's happened before and it's not pleasant. I'm sitting in my old wheelchair. I'm lucky to have a back-up wheelchair. Otherwise, I wouldn't be too mobile.

The Wheel-trans Focus group was productive. I got paid $75 to give two hours of feedback on how they can improve city transportation for commuters with physical disabilities. There were six other women in my group who were pessimistic and older. There was cookies, coffee and tea. Not bad - if you ask me.  The other participants were different. They were consumed with bad experiences on buses and health challenges. Some had disabilities related to obesity and it made me sad. I've been on the other side of that coin and it's just  as isolating.

I was scheduled to be weighed and go to my monthly women's group tonight. It would have been good to socialize at the group, but what can I do? My back-up wheelchair works, but I didn't want to push my luck and end up with no mobile wheelchair. Getting weighed was postponed until next Tuesday, which is fine....I wasn't exactly excited to go. I've been out of control with desserts. I watched Rio and it was cute. I also watched the first episode of the sixth season of All In The Family where Gloria finds out she is pregnant and her husband must gain his confidence with parenthood.

 On a related note, I went home on the weekend. On Sunday, my sister, her husband and my little niece Skylar dropped over unexpectedly. I was playing with Skylar when my sister said to her, "Tell Auntie (OCG), what's in momma's tummy."In a quiet voice, my one and a quarter year -old niece said, "A baby!"

Shocked, I wasn't sure if I heard right but my sister nodded. So...I'm going to be an aunt again in August!!!  I'm so excited, but still surprised. My sister is a natural momma and her husband is a natural Dad. Watching All In The Family today, I heard the following quote by Alistair Cook

"In the best of times, our days are numbered anyway, and so it would be a crime against nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place. . . I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under a tree, to hit a ball and bounce a baby.”

I have to agree.

- OCG    

1 comment:

Lurker said...

Congrats that's awesome!.