Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Food Bank...

I peed on the floor of my therapist's office today. In case you don't know, I cannot walk. I need help getting to the toilet. Outside of my apartment, there is no help. If I have to pee, I have to hold it. Well, I couldn't hold it and you know what happened next. I was embarrassed. My therapist said nothing. Maybe next week, she will. I had a third coffee at lunch, which was a bad idea. Peeing my pants sucks. The person who cleaned me up was OK. What if I still smell?

On my taxi trip to meet the Observer yesterday, we stopped at a food bank to pick up a passenger. The Food Bank happened inside a shady-looking church. The people coming in and out looked rough. Some had no teeth. Some had mismatched clothes. Some had a bewildered look in their eyes. I saw an old man with cans in his pockets who could barely walk. I wanted to cry. Food. Food. Food. We need it.  I think about food a LOT.  I have enough. If I want food, I buy it. I'm uncomfortable with my own relationship with food. We have this love/hate connection. All I can really say is the trip to the Food Bank made me think....and feel grateful for the dinner I ate later on.

- OCG

1 comment: